Monday, April 18, 2011

Stranger Danger

I have a baby. He's 7 months old. Something that I've noticed since his arrival is the irrepressible desire of strangers to approach me and comment on my parenting ability or lack thereof. I'm talking about people I have never clapped eyes on before.

For instance, yesterday, someone asked me what was on the back of his head. I replied that it was a 'stork mark'. Unconvinced, I was told that it looked more like eczema and I should take him to the Dr for some ointment because it will just get worse. Um, no. I won't do that but thanks for the free consultation.

Then today, on my daily stroll back from the shops a lady rushed over to adjust the roof / sunshade bit of his pram because apparently the little nuts or berries or whatever the frig was falling from the trees could hurt him. A rogue berry had recently hit this poor woman and she thought 'she'd been shot.' Imagine she actually got shot? Boy who cried wolf!

I wonder what it is about me that entices people to dart to the aid of my obviously endangered child? Am I so incapable of walking down the street normally and safely that he must be defended by such good samaritans?

I'm thinking about collecting some of those 'bullet' berries and when strangers approach with their 'advice' I'll let them rain down like bombs. That should keep them out of my way for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Ah this did make me laugh, yes keep those berries stock piled! Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete