Monday, April 25, 2011

Names in ruins

Naming a baby is one of the toughest things new parents have to do. Well, I thought it was hard anyway. I learnt the hard way never to share your ideas with people because many are incapable of harnessing their reactions which you can't help but take personally.

When Frenchy and I were pondering names (and still sharing them with people) there was such an alarming reaction to the name Leo that it eventually got struck because of the aggression it aroused. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem obviously kept their baby names under their hat because their newborn is named Leo.

We also thought of Byron for a boy but Frenchy's relatives and French colleagues barely tried to keep a straight face and kept repeating Bee-ron, Bee-ron over and over until that too was eliminated from the running.

The girls names we thought of seemed to offend less people which was nice. At one point I told a group of friends that we were choosing either Byron for a boy or Perle for a girl and someone said 'Ooh I hope it's a girl.' Hmmm.

My mother in law was highly amusing during negotiations by informing us which names she 'hated the least' as opposed to any she actually liked.  

In the end Frenchy and I made the decision in the delivery room, once our baby boy was out and about and taking his first gulps of air. Little Noam arrived (not pronounced gnome btw, but No-am) and his name means pleasant friend. I couldn't imagine him now as a Leo or a Byron but getting to Noam was an interesting challenge.

Until next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment