Friday, April 22, 2011

The infinite long weekend

Sometimes I get confused as to whether I live in a country town or not. I'm about 45 minutes north of Melbourne, there's properties on acreage here and it's facilitated by the V-Line, which to me suggests it's as country as Gwenyth Paltrow.

But then the Easter long weekend rolls around and basically every trader packs up shop and disappears. Now I would've thought that the businesses here would be relying on the tourist trade for their bread and butter. Come a four or five day long weekend I'd be rubbing my hands together thinking 'Sa-weeeet, all the yuppies will be heading off on their roadtrips and they'll fall straight into my 'always open' trap.'

Oh contraire! After doing my shopping last night with every other person in the town (Coles closes on Good Friday so everyone needs to stock their bomb shelters the night before) I walked home with my soy milk and shit bread 'cause that's all that was left. I made it a point to observe all the Easter trading hours signs in the shops on the way home and the opening times were as scarce as hens teeth. Most places closed yesterday and will reopen next Wednesday.

I'm sure some of you are thinking 'that's a bit harsh, country traders should enjoy the long weekend too'. But consider this; most of them are closed for at least one day during the week (usually Monday's or Tuesdays sometimes both). There's not much 7 day a week trading here, so they're doing all right. There's even some shops who only open Thursday to Sunday. That's a long weekend every week!

All I'm saying is if I ran a business up here I'd be opening the whole Easter weekend and finding another time during the year to take my long weekend. Of course I am overlooking the fact that maybe they close for religious beliefs but still...I'd open up and pump some of the helpful hymns from yesterdays post out my boom box.

Until next time xx

1 comment:

  1. G&G would be open for sure! Perhaps minus the boom box and hymns! Hehe x

    ReplyDelete