Thursday, April 21, 2011

Helpful Hymns

Most Wednesday nights I get together with some of my nearest and dearest for some girly conversation and Charles Street Fish and Chips. Last night was no different save for the impromptu hymn-along that burst forth once dinner was finished. Myself and another Catholic school chum inflicted our renditions of 'Companions on the Journey', 'Though the Mountains May Fall', 'Welcome to the Family' and my personal favourite that I can never remember the name of 'something about the arrow that flies by day' on our, shall we say, heathen friend.

It dawned on me that after 7 years of primary school and 6 of high school, basically the only things I remember are hymn lyrics. And while they are groovin' good tunes, they don't particularly serve me well now, in my adult life, being the vile, un-practicing catholic that I am.

What I realised is, and people have known this since the dawn of time, song is the way to pass information on. So I propose that the education system be completely overhauled and every teacher, across every subject, begin teaching students in song. Nothing bad can come from this.

It need not be to the tune of hymn of course, though Catholic schools could do that if they wish, but I think kids would respond better to songs they connect with. Consider:

Maths Class:

I like triangles and I can not lie,
I like 'em so much better than pi,
When a right-angle is looking at me
I'm in awe of it's 90 degrees, I get sprung
Wanna pull out my protractor...

or

Australian History

I see the white people arrive in their great big boats
And I'm like forget you, forget you
Their saying terra nullius and that's all she wrote
And I'm like forget you

Well I'm sorry
I don't look like a lilly
But that don't mean you can shoot me dead
I been livin' here happily
With all my homies
At one with the land and keeping in good stead

Not to toot my own horn but I reckon the kids would be diggin' it. And remembering it. The opportunities are boundless.

Geography

The capital of Italy is Rome
Across the road, Paris is the boss of France
But there is more to this dance

Madrid leads the way in Spain
That's where the rain falls mainly on the plain
But it's Kiev in Ukraine.
(That's Billie Jean by the way)

Until next time xx

3 comments:

  1. LOL....I will take your suggestion to my teachers and put it into place!You will be happy to know, however, that according to Gardner's Multiple Intelligence Theory- musical intelligence is something that schools have tapped into. So singalongs about fractions and decimal points are alive and well. So too are the age old Church songs such as Welcome to the Family! 'We are glad that you have come to share your life with us...to be strong in love and...."

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do see the potential for this revolutionary idea! Scotto would agree for sure 

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me of your Ode to Finco!
    What a cracker that was!

    ReplyDelete