Thursday, April 28, 2011

An Ode to the Past

Yesterday a lovely lady commented on one of my posts and reminded me of a little ditty I once wrote, that ended up getting me fired from the worst job in the world by the worst boss in the world. Bitter? Never.

But I thought I would post the controversial poem so you could make up your mind as to its offensiveness. Before I was frog-marched from the building, the boss gave me some helpful feedback saying he thought it was funny and well-written. Ah, bless.

A-hem...

A day at work is hard to take
When brain doth melt and back doth break
And all you want is to escape
But jails old walls are sound

Managers lurk with absent stealth
Doing nought but growing wealth
It's very trying for your health
The noose is tightly wound

Though sun still shines and rain still falls
You're wedged between the closing walls
Forever fielding thankless calls
Ahead is rocky ground

In the kitchen, cupboard's bare
No plate to use, no fork to share
The bosses say the budget's fair
While laughing, bank-ward bound

Your fishbowl isn't made of glass
It's not just people slouching past
but coming in with further tasks
Respite cannot be found

And when you think you're nearly done
A fishy boss will spoil your fun
There's errands only you can run
Sore temples start to pound

In the background, endless chatter
On topics that can hardly matter
At your desk just getting fatter
No normalcy around

The end is nigh, there's no debate
You sneak off early, arrive late
And tell the boss to kiss your date
The freedom is profound.

Et voila! On that Pulitzer prize-winning note is how I ended my time in the office prison. I hope you can all take a little encouragement from it...

Don't work too hard xx

3 comments:

  1. Classic... i remember the original though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. let me rephrase that, I remember the original very well, and this ode has been and still is the best description of that job :)

    ReplyDelete