Saturday, April 23, 2011

Freakin' Masterchef

There's plenty of things in this world that make me happy. I won't list them all but certain people, certain places and certain foods top the list. Fair enough. What I didn't realise would make me as happy as a drunk canary is the humble veggie patch. 

My Dad used to take me shopping on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. We would inevitably end up in the hardware store Biz Buzz in Keilor Road, Niddrie. I would stand in front of the display stand that showcased packets and packets of seeds wondering what I could grow. I think my Dad was completely chuffed that he could take his 8 year old daughter to the hardware store and she was happy there. 

Anyway. It's been a long time since I was interested in growing produce. About 20 years actually. But Frenchy and I planted a whole stack of seedlings late last year and we've been reaping the rewards all summer. 

The whole production culminated last night in a dinner we cooked for a couple of our friends. For the entree we had bruschetta with beetroot (from the garden) chicken, caramalised onion and goats cheese. Yummo. For the main we had an excellent mince and beetroot mix with mashed potato, carrot and parsnip (all from the garden). And for dessert I cooked a rockin' apple crumble with apples from our tree. 

Swear to God, the only thing we got from the supermarket was the bruschetta bread and the meat. It was the most satisfying feeling to be so self-sufficient. And the taste is something amazing. It's almost unrecognisable to the bog the supermarkets sell. Sure, I had to cut a couple of wee worms out of the apples but what's a worm or two amongst friends? 

Now, if only the sun would come out and ripen the kilos and kilos of tomatoes that are on our vine.

Until next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment